South Street Headhouse District
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Send resume and cover letter to [email protected].
About the South Street Business Improvement District (SSHD)
The SSHD was established in 1993 as a locally directed municipal authority with the purpose of improving public safety, sanitation, and other services to supplement services being provided by the City of Philadelphia. The goal of the South Street Headhouse District (SSHD) is to provide a safer, cleaner, well-managed business district for the benefit of the entire community. Through constant improvement, we aim to build an engaging and enticing place to work, visit, shop, invest, and live. SSHD continues to plan and support urban improvements, innovative marketing and promotional initiatives, artistic and creative enhancements, and other developments designed to amplify the image and visibility of our dynamic and diverse business community.
To view our boundary map and learn more about our organization, please visit our District webpage.
About the Executive Director Position
The South Street Headhouse District is one of the most dynamic districts in the city. As the home to over 400 businesses, it presents a diverse and unique sampling of what a commercial district can be. The work of the Executive Director has a visible impact on the community of businesses and neighbors that make up the footprint of the district.
The ideal candidate has great working relationships with community stakeholders, including property owners, business owners, and residents as well as local, state, and federal elected officials. Has to have experience in events, marketing, grant writing, capital, and more to drive the bid into the next phase of its history. We are looking for someone to bring vision to this corridor with an emphasis on recruiting businesses to South Street, marketing the neighborhood to encourage visitors from all over the city and beyond, and sharing the many eclectic shops, restaurants, and spaces that make the SSHD so special.
The Executive Director will be expected to be available some nights and weekends to oversee events or attend community meetings.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities (not limited to):
- Manage day-to-day operations of the organization including full fiduciary oversight and payroll
- Oversee independent contractors specializing in cleaning, events, and more
- Work closely with the board and committees; help recruit members
- Manage SSHD staff ensuring each team member understands their responsibilities and expectations in their roles
- Serve as the primary representative of the organization
- Develop plans and strategies for economic development, marketing, and capital projects
- Develop a working relationship with neighboring RCOs and organizations that could support the district in its efforts
- Work with city representatives on cultivating traffic and streetscape improvement plans
- Write and publish monthly and annual reports
- Evaluate and measure program activities and develop action plans to improve them
- Seek funding opportunities to support and grow programs
- Often required to attend public meetings on behalf of the SSHD (can be after 5pm)
- A thoughtful leader with strong communication skills
- Able to represent the district in a professional manner at all times
- Strategic thinker who seeks to create a long-term path for the BID
- A natural problem solver with a “can do” solutions-based approach
- Grant writing and able to seek opportunities to bring funding to the district
- General understanding of social media, public relations, marketing, and RFP process
- Understanding of state grants and federal appropriations
- Nonprofit management
Desired Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree, or commensurate life experience in marketing, events, community planning, or economic development.
- 2+ years experience in economic development
- 5 to 10 years experience in a managerial position
- Demonstrated experience in taking initiative, assuming leadership, and enlisting others to move in a common direction.
- Proven experience in management and relationship building, particularly with property owners, retailers, and commercial brokers.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as profitability and statistical inference.
- Ability to solve practical problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Job type: Full-Time
- Salary: $100,000 – $120,000, commensurate with experience and a 10% (ten percent) stipend for benefits.
- Schedule: Monday to Friday with weekend availability
- Ten paid vacation days with ten paid holidays (if they fall on a regular workday)
The SSHD is an equal-opportunity employer. The SSHD does not discriminate in hiring or employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, marital or familial status, national origin, non-job-related disability, or status as a veteran. minority candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Ability to commute/relocate to Philadelphia, PA 19147. This is not a remote position.
Send resume and cover letter to [email protected].